Tuesday, May 13, 2014

What Am I Using to Diaper My Baby?


Day 2 of the Flats Challenge 2014, has us answering the question, "What is your stash?"

Normally I use prefolds and covers or pockets with microfiber inserts, but for this challenge I couldn't use any of those!  SO I neatly tucked them away in a drawer for later.  I luckily had purchased 12 birdseye flats from Green Mountain Diapers when I bought my prefolds so I had them already around the house and I had plenty of covers. The only thing I bought was a 5 pack of flour sack towels from WalMart.

One thing you won't see are wipes, I am not using cloth wipes as of right now.  I am on my last pack of Pamper's wipes that I had bought in bulk a few months ago.  After this pack is gone...I'm going all cloth.

So my flats challenge stash includes:

12 birdseye cotton flats purchased here  $24.00
6 cotton flannel receiving blankets that I've had for a few kids now similar to these (awesome for night time or when out of the house) $10 (these were mainly gifted or ones I got from the hospital so I really didn't pay for any of them)
5 flour sack towels like these  $4.88

5 Flip Covers like these  $74.75 (got some of these on sale and some second hand)
6 Thirsties Size 1 Duo Wraps found here $76.50 (some of these I got second hand and a few I got on sale)

I also use these Gerber Waterproof Pants for my 2 year old during the day $6.24

I also have 3 snappis $7.55

This is all I use to full time diaper 2 little girls. My 2 year old and my 6 month old. This would be all you needed from about 8lbs until potty training (my 2 year old has started potty training)

TOTAL $203.92

As far as cleaning supplies go, the only thing I bought was a cord from the hardware store to hang for a clothes line and a bar of Zote soap.  Everything else is what I have around the house.  I found a large 11-gallon green flexible tub that I had gotten for my boys to throw their toys in, that was always empty, so I borrowed it for the week. I use an Easter bucket that one of the kids kept from their Easter present as a dirty pail, it sits on my dryer by my back door.  I use vinegar in an old dish soap bottle to use during the rinse and I use my hands to agitate and wash and wring them out.
This is pretty much my set up right here...you can see my big green wash tub, my little thing with a bar of soap, my little diry pail, a hose and my clothes line...and my really excited 7 year old.  He thought I was going to wash all of our laundry like this...yeah sure kid hahahaha. On the line you can see a pocket diaper with 2 microfiber inserts hanging, this was from the first day and the night before I put my Faith in this set up for overnight...never again will I wash microfiber by hand.

I will go into my wash routine in another post.  If I could make a guess as to what the wash supplies cost I'd say maybe $8.

Very basic but it WORKS and honestly, truly, I am LOVING this set up and system.  It really is possible to diaper your baby for so much less, many people are cutting up cotton t-shirts, using pins, making their own fleece or wool covers.  It's pretty awesome!!


Thanks for stopping by!!!

Jaymie

No comments:

Post a Comment